Expired: Engagement Officer
Page has Expired: This page is no longer available. Please contact Webmaster for content.
Hampton, relocating to Woking in 2019 (with regular travel across UK)
£24,000 – £28,000 depending on experience
Volunteering and Communications
The Police Dependants’ Trust is the UK charity providing targeted support and financial assistance to people who suffer harm as a result of their policing role, irrespective of rank or grade. As a charity working exclusively within policing, we have helped over 7,000 officers and their families get the practical support they need to rebuild their lives.
The police service and statutory services in general are going through periods of unprecedented change, as is the Trust. We are committed to raising our profile and supporting more police families by extending our activities and telling more people about the good work of the Trust.
This post holder will work in collaboration with our Trustees, staff, volunteers and network of supporters and stakeholders to raise the profile of our work, through engaging with volunteers and Police internal communication teams. You will play a key role in recruiting, inducting and supporting volunteers across the UK, as well as networking and engaging with Police forces; promoting the Trust through their internal communications and at Police led events.
- Respond to all volunteer enquiries, ensure up to date and accurate information is given.
- Work with the Development and Impact manager to recruit volunteers across the UK; including processing application, organising Induction Training days, requesting references.
- Conduct Induction Training days for volunteers and follow-up refreshers
- Supporting volunteers by arranging quarterly catch-ups, and responding to any requests for help from volunteers
- Assist the Development and Impact Manager with organising, planning and delivering the annual volunteer conference and awards evening.
- Work with the Head of Communications and Fundraising, to engage with strategic communications teams at police forces to ensure up-to-date, relevant, and accurate content is being distributed through their own internal comms channels.
- Identify opportunities to further engage and support the service and its people in line with the Trust’s charitable objectives.
- Keep contact information at force level on our CRM system up to date so that we can make best use of our relationships locally and Nationally.
- Maintain a high standard for copy and content meeting branding and style guidelines
- Take the lead on identifying events and other opportunities to publicise the organisation and its campaigns
- Undertake all administrative work generated by the post, such as progress reports, scheduling and filing
- To attend external meetings and events that could promote the activities of the Trust.
Qualifications or training
- Educated to A-Level or equivalent
- Educated to Degree Level or equivalent
Skills and abilities
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Comprehensive IT skills, incl. Microsoft office and social media
- Ability to think creatively and to innovate.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills, including working to deadlines.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and service discretion at all times.
- Interpersonal skills; empathy and compassion.
- Ability to tell a story and motivate people to action through presentation and speaking in public.
- Friendly and professional manner
- Comfortable talking to people face-to-face or over the phone.
- An open-minded approach to individuals, avoiding judgement and stereotyping; promoting equality and diversity.
- Project management skills
- Ability to work in partnership with a wide range of individuals and to motivate participation in a variety of projects
- Understanding of financial hardship
- Good networking skills; able to talk to all levels
- Experience of articulating a brand narrative or message to different professional audiences
- Experience of organising events, including the provision of support material needed for such events
- Experience conducting presentations or training events
- Experience of working in a police environment
- Previous experience working with volunteers
- Previous experience working in an internal communications role
- Knowledge of the processes, systems, and tools used for internal communications at a corporate level
- Understanding of issues affecting members of the Police Forces and their families
- A full, clean driving licence and access to a car for business use
- Happy to travel
Hours of work
The basic hours of work are 35 hours per week, which can either be worked from home or based at our Hampton office, with travel across the UK (including overnight stays), so flexibility is essential. Additional hours will be needed to support with specific events at certain times of the year. The core responsibilities and duties should be carried out during 9am – 5pm weekdays.
This job description is neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the duties and responsibilities may vary from time-to-time in the light of changing circumstances and in consultation with the job-holder.
The job-holder will be required to work within the rules and regulations of the Trust and accept the authority of the Chief Executive, who has discretion to delegate authority to the job-holder and to withdraw it.
The Trust is committed to eliminating any discrimination and promoting diversity and equality of opportunity in all it does. The Trust is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and we will not unlawfully discriminate against job applicants, employees of the Trust, volunteers, workers or contract workers on the grounds of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation
How to apply
Application is by CV with a cover letter outlining how you meet the person specification. This should be sent, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date advertised.